Nearly $5,000.00 in Scholarships Awarded
Emphasizing a continued commitment to the growth and development of young people, the Dream 4 It Foundation hosted its sixth annual benefit on Friday, August 23rd. At the event, three local students were awarded nearly $5,000.00 in tuition scholarships and book stipends. Founded in 2008, The Dream4It Foundation raises funds to support numerous educational endeavors designed to provide youth with scholarships for higher education positioning them to realize their Dreams. To date, the Foundation has awarded nearly $40,000.00 in educational scholarships. The Dream4It foundation also awards honors individuals whose selfless efforts improve the quality of life for individuals and families across the State.
At the event, Dr. Anthony Brown and his friends took persons on an inspirational journey across the pop, inspirational and gospel charts. The concert, which attracted nearly 400 persons, was held at the Gordon Performing Arts Center in Owings Mills, MD. The event featured recording artists Doreen Vail and Micah Smith, and Morgan State University’s Dimery Mowery. Shante Renee’ Carter – a local artist and singer, also made a surprise solo appearance. This year’s honorees and scholars included:
Our 2013 Scholarship Recipients
• Eli Hugghis, Purdue University
• James C. Quinn, Towson University
• Naiya Sargent, Bowie State University
Our 2013 Honorees
• Paul Wiedefeld - Maryland Aviation Administration
• NAMI Maryland
• Freeman A. Hrabowski, III - President of University of Maryland, Baltimore County
• Sharon Jones-Matthews - The Wish List Depot
• Charles “Choo” Smith, Jr. - Choo Smith Enterprises
• Doresa Harvey - Heaven 600 Radio
• Debbie Page, David Savick - Autism Society of Baltimore-Chesapeake
• Friends of Benjamin Banneker Historical Park and Museum
• Ray Streib - Development Facilitators, Inc.
• Alford Laws Jr. - WIN Family Services
• Reginald Gant - Entrepreneur/Mentor/Volunteer
• Ketia Stokes - 2013 Teacher of the Year
• Darin Atwater-Soulful Symphony
• Nyla Symone Adams
• Derrick D. Southard - Youth Enterprise Services, Inc.,
Billed as a Sensational Summer Night, the evening was a time of hope and inspiration for the entire community. The Foundation’s president, Dr. Anthony Brown, a local minister and accomplished recording artist, began the Foundation in response to an overwhelming response he received to a song he had written and recorded entitled, Dream. He adds, “What I came to understand was that the song was more than just an inspiring lyric, it (the song) was encouraging persons to once again go after their dreams.”
To find out more about the Foundation go to www.dream4it.net or call (443) 472-3311. Dream 4 It, Inc. is a non-profit IRS-501(c) (3) tax Exempt Corporation. Your tax deductible donations are appreciated.
James Quinn, Jr. was one of three students awarded scholarships at the benefit event. James is attending Towson State University.